Saturday, March 31, 2007

feng shui a la mommy

This is me today...shopping. Everything cute and springy and I was not inspired at all.

Here is the problem, I'm YEARS out of style. I haven't bought much for myself in the last (gasp) 3 years! I am beyond desperate for clothes!!

Anyways, it goes like like this...

Stage 1: 9 months of pregnancy. Big bellah tops and front panel pants.

Stage 2: 1-2 months post baby. Clearly still looking 6 months pregnant thus not ideal shopping time. Drag out maternity clothes. Loathe maternity clothes.

Stage 3: 2-4 months post baby. Live in sweatpants and pj's (tired and fat, who wants to leave the house?)

Stage 4: 1-2 years of losing mummy tummy and discovery channel boobs (don't want to buy fat clothes because skinny is *so* just around the corner. right? *insert sigh*)

Stage 5: starting trying to get pregnant again.

Stage 6: repeat above once you are with child

Even IF you get to your pre-pregnancy size, don't be fooled into thinking you'll just dive into those old Gap jeans again. Oh no. Things are pushed out, shoved down, droopy and saggy.

So anyways, I came home with a cranky toddler and a pair of earrings. argh.

On a brighter note, I did get my new couch today! Why new, you ask? Well, let's just say that my "old", comfy couch was in a desperate state. I don't think it was up for the toddler-doggy-husband challenge and clearly it didn't fair well after our, ummm, 5 moves. Ya.

It has been demoted to a basement couch.

The new couch, while entirely fabulous, has left the living room looking quite sparse.
I moved 'Toys R Us' downstairs and since the end tables and coffee table did nothing for my new look, they had to go too. In doing so, I now have a couch and a TV stand.
My theory in keeping THIS couch looking great is to eliminate the problem...toddler, doggy, husband. No toys, no doggy on the couch, no cable!
Ya, nothing like a sparse, uninviting living room to keep the gang away.

(note: 14 steps is a long way to go for snacks though. Is a beer fridge really THAT tacky?)

2 comments:

GirlyWarrior said...

on the ps note, It's the basement, beer fridge isn't THAT tacky, if it's well hidden. LOL.
I know what you mean about the saggy droopy and in general southward movement of body parts post child. *sigh*
I haven't seen you around, hope all is well!

Marina said...

I can so relate to your turmoil with clothing, although I have yet to return to the pre-pregnancy state and now it will be even longer. My problem is finding something that can get me thru these next 5 months. I hate maternity clothes too!!!

A NEW COUCH, how exciting, I can vouch for the well worn in factor on the old one, but at least it found a good home downstairs. That will help make the basement more attractive to everyone. Can't wait to get the deets on the new on and see pictures when your living room is completed.

Oh and a basement beer fridge is a must!!!!